8.30.2008

Notes from Friday: Fable 2

I plan on going back to get some play time in on Fable 2 sometime today, but I did spend some time watching others play and asking questions. There are a few weird changes from the original that I gathered from watching yesterday. Apparently there is no will limit (what the hell?) spam any spell all damn day and it doesnt matter. Also, since the game takes place 500 years after the original, I suppose some technological advances could be expected. You now kill baddies with guns rather than arrows.

One of the most striking changes to me, having played quite a few RPGs in my day, there is virtually no visible UI other than the character and surroundings. Contextual information periodically appears, but otherwise the game is pretty immersive, which is nice.

Finally, I like the way they changed the XP collection and split the collected glowing globes into varying colors based on the type of XP collected. The game still uses the basic XP pool scheme with Will, Skill, Strength and General XP allowing continuous tweaking of your character.

Overall I am more excited about Fable 2 than I had been, but playing the original Fable TLC in software emulation has been a source of frustration for me so anything that doesnt hard crash my 360 every few hours will be a welcome addition to my library. Plus I can improve my piss poor gambling skills playing pub games in the mean time.

2 comments:

Jon V said...

You could have played Fable on the PC, you know...

steadyflux said...

this is true but borrowing it was so free and easy!