8.28.2008

Preparations and Introductions

So I am doing laundry and finishing up Fable finally. I will soon be packing up my nerdy t-shirts, my iphone and very little else and boarding a plane for Seattle.

I have been practicing staying up later so I don't fall asleep at 9pm whilst out there vaguely near the left coast. I hope to be still conscious until at least 1am.

I have put together a tentative loose schedule of shit I want to see and do, but am mostly planning on winging it.

Things I am really interested in: gaming culture, democracy in games, game planning and writing, nerd-watching, Fallout 3, Fable 2, Spore, WHO, whatever Braid has out there (I really, really liked Jonathan Blow's whole approach with that game), any other novel-looking upcoming titles, and table-top gaming plus other stuff I am forgetting.

I can't say I'm really into nerdcore, but if I see MC Front-a-lot, I'm sure I will snap a crappy picture of his royal baldness.

Generally speaking, I'm into RPGs, clever action games and XBLA. I'm really eager to see what I can see with respect to the XNA community presence. I gotta admit to becoming a slight 360 fanboy as of late.

Obvious omission = women in gaming. I am not sure how to approach this whole idea. I can't help but feel that this is slightly patronizing. I must admit a more than casual interest in finding out what the industry *thinks* I want. I'm pretty sure that that the PA panel will be more interested in actually engaging women instead of watching chicks play hula on the Wii fit and making sure guys with girlfriends can game in peace without feeling guilty or nagged. But ultimately, I think the answer to engaging women in gaming is .... make good games.

As far as the plans for this blog goes, I am mostly planning on taking pictures and writing sarcastic, but heartfelt and honest blurbs about my experience. Hopefully, you'll laugh, sometimes uncomfortably, and be informed simultaneously.

So enough about my interests. Any special requests?

3 comments:

Jon V said...

I have fewer comments than normal at this time.

Unknown said...

Have a great time !

Your Mom

Unknown said...

Aright, I feel like I've got inside coverage of this event!

I'll be monitoring several news postings, and now, your blog!

Good luck with the staying up...